At Public Desire we are sad and outraged that we continue to see racism, social injustice and police brutality around the world. We acknowledge that we have a large platform that we can use to help educate others on white privilege and the systemic racism that persists around us whilst also raising awareness of the issues and oppression faced by black communities. There is still so much work that needs to be done and we are all responsible for helping to build a better and safer society. It is not good enough to be silent, we must be actively anti-racist.
- TEXT floyd to 55156 to sign Color of Change’s petition which will send a letter to Mayor Jacob Frey and DA Michael Freeman demanding the arrest and sentencing of the officers involved.
- CALL (612) 324-4499 to reach DA Michael Freeman and demand that the officers involved in the murder of George Floyd be arrested and held accountable.
- SIGN the petition at https://www.justiceforbigfloyd.com
- LISTEN to black people and amplify their voices
- EDUCATE people around you on the barriers that black people face in society and about white privilege. Talk about racism with your friends and family. Learn about systemic racism and the history of oppression. Read books, listen to podcasts, watch documentaries.
- CHALLENGE racial injustice. Don’t put white feelings ahead of black lives, confront friends and family on their views and opinions even if it’s uncomfortable. Your silence is just as dangerous.
If you’re in a position to be able to DONATE here are just a few of the places you can help make a difference to:
The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People aims to secure the political, educational, social, and economic equality of rights in order to eliminate race-based discrimination and ensure the health and well-being of all persons.
Pays criminal bails and immigration bond for those who can’t afford to and seeks to end discriminatory, coercive, and oppressive jailing.
A coalition to demand that Minneapolis move money out of policing and into community-led safety.
Whose mission is to eradicate white supremacy and build local power to intervene in violence inflicted on Black communities by the state and vigilantes.
Provide free bail assistance, reunite families, and restore the presumption of innocence.
Keep checking our blog for ways in which you can help the #BlackLivesMatter movement and resources you can use to educate yourself further.